Tuesday 3 May 2011

Who would be the audience of your media product?

The audience research that I conducted a while back revealed that a lot of 15-24 year olds favourite genres were comedy, with it being split pretty evenly between males and females.
I would say that my film would be aimed at more of a mainstream audience than anything else. As it isn’t either romantic or action, it wouldn’t be classed as a “big film” or blockbuster, but because it focuses purely on one genre, I feel it would be more for a mainstream audience. This type of audience tends to find films fun to watch, amongst other things but I feel that fun would best fit my film.
The main categories that cinema-goers can identify and use to assist their choice in film are as follows; Romance, Period, Comedy, Crime/Gangster, Horror/Action and Sci-Fi. By making my film one of these main categories, it increases the chances of it being accepted and noticed by audiences. My film also fits over what is thought to be the “cut off point” for mainstream ‘plus’ audiences, with it being American/English, Off-beat but upbeat and having a familiar cast, particularly familiar to audiences in the UK.
I feel that my film would have to audience of C2DE as it is ultimately a simple film, with the narrative going straight from A to Z, with potentially lovable characters and a nice, easy storyline to follow. If I was aiming it at an audience of ABC1, then I would have made it so that the narrative would changed and had a more questioning storyline, in that the audience is left guessing what was happening.
I’m not entirely sure what gender my film would be aimed at, as the genre comedy seemed extremely popular amongst both genders, especially between the ages of 15 and 24. Even though older people said they liked comedy as their favourite genre, it was seemingly most popular amongst the younger people and I would therefore aim the film towards a younger age range. I reckon I would give my film a certificate of 12 as I imagine that the rest of the film would have mild language and possible innuendos to add to the comedic effect of the film.
Films a bit like mine that I would recommend to audiences would be films like Wild Target, which is a British Comedy starring Bill Nighy and Emily Blunt amongst a small ensemble of other recognisable, British stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment