Tuesday 3 May 2011

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

There are many film distribution companies available all over the world. Out of these, certain ones may be more likely to distribute my film than others. I started off by searching for distribution companies from the UK, with my film being a British comedy. Below are some of the potential distribution companies that I found.
The first I came across was in fact a French-based distribution company called StudioCanal. They acquired UK-based film distribution company Optimum Releasing. This company released British films including Submarine, Son of Rambow and This Is England. This company is obviously a small company, especially when compared to distribution companies like 20th Century Fox and Universal Studios, but I think that it’s also a large enough distribution company that would get my film noticed.
Another distribution company I came across was Momentum Pictures. This is the leading film distribution company in the UK and Ireland, releasing motion pictures such as The King’s Speech, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Young Victoria, all of which won Academy Awards. Therefore, this is must be a decent distributor as they released films good enough to win Oscars.
The motion picture distributor Lionsgate has released many titles to date, from a wide variety of genres. The majority of films distributed by this company have been fairly to very big titles from films such as Precious and the Saw films to smaller films such as The Lucky Ones and Waiting... .
The final film distribution company that I looked at was Freestyle Releasing. This company distributed films such as Me and Orson Welles and Wild Target. This company however, does not put up any prints or advertising for its releases.
All of these distribution companies have released films similar to mine, especially Optimum Releasing and Freestyle Releasing with films like Wild Target and Son of Rambow, as these are British films that are also comedies.


I feel that these distributors would be the most likely to release my film as they have themselves released similar films and that shows that they are interested in films like mine. Films such as Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead that I would also say are like mine (with added gore) have both been distributed by Universal Pictures, but I feel that the company would not be that interested in my film as it has a much more independent feel to it, despite being a comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment